Monday, August 9, 2010

Food for Thought

"Most fruits and vegetables sold at U.S. supermarkets travel an average of 1,500 miles from their source; farmers' market produce is typically sold no more than 50 miles from where it's grown"
source: Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture

Driving west 1,500 miles from Plainsboro, NJ would put me right about in Dodge City, KS. It would take approximately 1 day and 1 hour according to Google maps. To complete the produce transportation analogy, I should be crammed shoulder to shoulder with other Jennifers for the nonstop ride. How would I look, feel and smell after that drive? If you were to greet me in Kansas after my trip, you'd probably want to get the heck outta Dodge.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I recognize that picture :) Cute post, though I'd rather you drive south!

    ReplyDelete