Sunday, June 20, 2010

Herbivore

Lovely fresh herbs weekly. Sounds heavenly! But I just can't use a bunch each of sage, oregano, parsley, basil, mint, peppermint and lemon balm every week! I thought about drying them...like we used to dry our Valentine roses and corsages in high school. Hang them upside down in the closet until they turn black and crunchy. Sentimental? Yes. Accurately describes the outcome of many of those high school relationships? Yes.

Hey! I want my herbs to look and smell great so I will use them in yummy dishes! Saveur.com gave an easy and effective recommendation. Nuke your fresh, clean herbs on a paper towel on high in the microwave for 3 minutes. See the results!

< Oregano at attention! Bright green, soft leaves, light earthy, herby smell. It keeps fine for a few days wrapped in damp paper towels in a plastic bag in the fridge. Great with chicken, beef, turkey, lamb. Too strong for fish, but perfect for pizza.

Nuked in the microwave! The leaves are whole, > very delicate so easily crushed between your fingers. The smell is intense! The same earthy, herbiness but stronger. They look amazing--like they were freeze dried. Looks pretty in an old jam jar. They'll keep for at least 6 months then start to lose some of their intensity.

How long have you had your herbs?

< Here is the alternative I found in my pantry. Bulk, dried oregano. Brownish green, crumbly almost to a powder. The smell is unpleasantly overwhelming. It's harsh, like really old potpourri. Would you sprinkle potpourri on anything you planned to put in your mouth? Sacre bleu, non!

I use the microwave sparingly...usually in a time crunch. Drying your herbs this way keeps them looking and smelling wonderful. It's a great way to capture the summertime freshness and enjoy it at any time of year. If I had known this clever trick 15+ years ago, might I still have those pretty roses? I think not. 

Let me know how it works for you!

4 comments:

  1. What a great suggestion. I look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are smart AND witty! Double whammy! ;) Great job and like the pic's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a terrific suggestion!!!!! Great blog, Jenn, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete